Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:25:54 -0600
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 06:01:26PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Tom Jackson wrote:
> I figured that the chances of others having bootblocks too old for elf
> kernels, and not knowing about the need to update the bootblocks, is
Point well taken
> probably pretty high.  I don't know if you just change boot.conf, with
> the old boot blocks, if you cut your throat (need a floppy boot to fix),
> but I think so.  That's the worry that bothered me.

I've had a very good experience with this since E-day by following Mike,
John, Peter, and Robert's advice and doing it in little steps :). My
bootblocks have stayed up to date due to the new boot.help and advice from
the knowledgable.

I had never used boot.conf[ig] before. When I had tried to use /boot.conf
to direct the process to /boot/loader, *it failed* and just tried to load
/kernel direct. This was when I found I had to use /boot.config, and this
did work. This was my main point.

Later,
--
Tom