Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: John Dyson Moves On

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Michael Hancock wrote:

> Yikes, resigned!  I would have like to have heard a sabbatical to cool
> off.  Resigned sounds very final, but the suddenness make it also sound
> like an emotional decision.

Indeed, I was a little surprised, too.  :-)

However, even though it's not really appropriate to begin any
accolades before whatever announcement John makes (if he feels
like making one), I don't think anyone will begrudge an exception
in this case.  ;-)

John Dyson has, needless to say, done a tremendous job handling
the subtlities of FreeBSD's inner workings, helping design
perhaps the best VM system in existance, but beyond that, he has
often participated in the FreeBSD newsgroups and mailing-lists.
He has been willing to answer questions and explain what, to the
other party, at least, must have seemed the inexplicable.  As far
as I can tell he has always answered and responded to any
complaints -current users have.  If it wasn't for Dyson, we
wouldn't have bounce buffers!  Not only has he been a tremendous
help within FreeBSD, but he has always been willing (if
occasionally too willing ;-) to stand-up for FreeBSD on the
outside, preaching the good news to any who will listen.  Of
late, he has often been seen on -chat encouraging other advocates
of FreeBSD.

I can remember John saying in the newsgroups that he was
confident that if he should ever leave the FreeBSD project,
people would step-up to fill his place.  John will be missed, but
now is our time to justify the confidence he placed in us.

I guess this means that dg will finally have to pull his weight
around here.  ;-) ;-) ;-)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.