Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:02:11 -0800
From:      "Jim Krenz" <unixverse@lecter.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems with 4.7 upgrade (lost ownerships and users)

Hello,

Last night, I tried to upgrade my tiny P1 machine from FreeBSD 4.6 to 4.7.
I've upgraded the same machine from 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and 4.5, and haven't had
problems until now.

During the upgrade installation, one of the packages failed. Sorry, I didn't
note it down. The installer said that the upgrade failed, and that 4.7 was
not installed. Since it was late, I figured that I'd reboot, and try the
install again tomorrow night.

When I rebooted, the system appeared to be 4.7. All of my users were gone.
Ownership of directories and files seem to have changed. And most important,
root had no password attached.

So, here is my main question: Should I, a relative *nix newbie, try to fix
these issues? Or should I erase the disk, do a fresh install, and load up my
settings and websites from the most recent backup?

Thanks for any advice!

Jim
Jim Krenz
unixverse@lecter.org