Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 02:44:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "hendrix77@" <hendrix77@cockatiel.aus.org>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Dan Odom <daniel@jimi.danodom.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Andrew Gordon wrote:

> > Speaking of plug and play, I am having an impossible time finding
> > hardware for my FreeBSD and BSDI boxes.  Nothing out there has jumpers
> > any more, not even network cards.  Where the heck does everyone find
> > supplies in this era of Windows NT?
>
> Just because they have no jumpers, that doesn't mean you are forced
> to use PnP.  Certainly most ISA Ethernet cards can be configured by EEPROM
> to reside at a fixed address rather than being PnP (usually by use of
> a DOS utility).  In some cases, this option is not clearly documented
> (SMC EtherEZ for example - there is a command-line option to the
> EZSETUP program to disable PnP, but if you go into the menu-driven
> version you don't get that option).

	We are home users of FreeBSD, we dont have windows 3.1 or 95 and find it annoying about cards that have no jumpers, I suppose we ideally should be harassing the hardware vendors for drivers. But it genuinely sucks that we went out and bought a SB16 compa
tible soundcard and had to scrap it for a real SB or buy OSS to make it run since we dont have windows to run PnP config programs. I wonder is there no way to interface the pnp bios to do stuff or do you have to write code for each individual pnp card/dev
ice ?

Luke
`