Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:19:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@rascal.honk.org>
To:        John Daniel <john@cell-works.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, John Daniel wrote:

> Howdy ,
>
> I like to heer peoples opinions on GUI for freebsd. I'm installing XFree86
> and I'm going to use KDE or Afterstep or something on top of it.  I use a
> little afterstep on my current system ( a co-worker set it up) but I am
> not so tied to it I can't try somehting new.

The only two I have tried are FVWM2 and KDE - I *much* prefer KDE over
FVWM2.  The main advantage is that KDE is an entire desktop environment,
not just a window manager.  Plus with the desktop themes you can apply
(http://kde.themes.org) the look and feel of the environment is easily
changeable to suit your mood.

For me, the biggest plus of KDE over FVWM2 is the simple fact that you are
able to configure things using familiar (for those weaned on other GUIs
like MacOS or Windows) GUI tools.  Want to change a background?
Right-click in the desktop and choose "Display Properties".  The rest of
the environment is just as slick.

With FVWM (and many other window managers) this sort of thing is done by
editing .rc files galore.  Very tiresome, although I have to admit that I
did get quite a sense of accomplishment once I got FVWM looking and
behaving the way I wanted.  It just seems wasteful to me to spend days
setting up icons and widgets, when you can spend the time doing "real"
work.

The downside to KDE is that it can be a real bitch to install (use the
metaport in /usr/ports/x11/kde) and it is quite a memory hog.  I wouldn't
recommend it on a system with less than 32 MB Ram unless you really don't
mind hearing your HD thrash constantly.  Another downside is the fact that
parts of KDE are unstable at best, or just plain don't work.  For example,
clicking on the Help utility seems to do nothing, until you look in your
home directory and find a nice big .core file (meaning the utility has
caused your system to take a dump).

> so give me your stories on what you found to be easily configureable,
> fast, good looking and fun to use.
>
> TIA

If you have the RAM, definitely check out KDE.

M.