Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:03:03 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB memory stick hotswap problems

--=-sOBdv3bsPZytZB6V3cnJ

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 12:51, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Whoa, easy there.  I think Mike was just providing some (what may
> be considered superfluous/obvious) feedback to the issue at hand; he
> honestly stated up front he had no solution, which implies he's not sure
> of how to go about fixing the problem at hand.
>=20
> I viewed his "criticism" as more positive than negative; I took it to
> read "this is something we definitely need to look at and resolve, not
> just put on the back-burner."  I think the number of people who manage
> and maintain the USB stack is, as you ptu it, limited.  I don't know
> what happened to Nick Hibma (the original maintainer/porter of the USB
> stack), but it seems things have changed hands.
>=20
> Finally, albeit a bit off-topic: financial contributions don't always
> make things happen quicker in the open-source world.  Although we have
> less "managerial" red-tape to deal with, there are still only 24 hours
> in a day, and many of us work full-time jobs.  Time is limited,
> regardless if there's a donation involved or otherwise.  :-)
>=20
> Just my $0.02.

I'd like to throw in my $0.02 as well.  Perhaps if we all did, then
there would be plenty of money ;-)

Mike says:

I don't claim that I have a solution - but I think I have an example
that really requires for this to be solved in some way other than "you
must unmount the USB device before unplugging".

I think it would be great to not have to unmount a device before we
unplug it, but even Windows requires you to do this by "ejecting" the
device first.  I don't see this as a problem.  I especially do not see
this as a problem with the USB stack.  I haven't followed the entire
thread, but is this the only remaining complaint/issue/criticism/etc?

Cheers,
Sean

--=-sOBdv3bsPZytZB6V3cnJ

--=-sOBdv3bsPZytZB6V3cnJ--