Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:16:51 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   rlogin as root refused

I'm getting problems doing rlogin as root, always when towards FreeBSD
machines.

I can do rsh generic commands and rcp, but not rlogin.

I set a "+" in the ~root/.rhosts file, but this doesn't suffice.

Also, my /etc/login.access file has only one line:

		+:ALL:ALL

Nevertheless, when doing rsh|rlogin <FreeBSD host>, I get:

# rsh <FreeBSD host>
Password:
root login refused on this terminal.
login:

I can succesfully do the same operation on behalf of generic users,
other than root, yet through the same rhosts authorization mechanism.
Sure, I can then switch root, but I wish to do it straight also.

Is this behaviour normal due to security issues? In such case it would
not seem to bi documented anywhere.

PS: the login.access file seems to function properly when accessing
through a physical tty line, ie. through modems.

thks
Marco M.