Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:55:49 +0000
From:      Tony McC <afmcc@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:10:25 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> In "Windows", things don't work without thinking. The
> misbelief that is does is grounded in the fact that
> other people have to deal with problems, while the
> user praises "Windows" for its easyness of use.
>
> In PJ's case, maybe PC-BSD is a good choice. As far as
> I know, they offer a working "Flash" plugin that can
> be installed by their PBI system. I haven't tested
> this because PC-BSD with its KDE centric concept simply
> isn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that it's
> not a good OS - hey, it's still FreeBSD. :-)
>
> Tony, I can understand that you might get the impression
> that PJ doesn't have a full understanding of the concepts
> and procedures needed to know in order to properly operate
> FreeBSD. This may be true. But he's constantly learning
> and understanding, and I think even with the troubles he
> likes to use FreeBSD (PJ, correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> When I came to FreeBSD (from a Linux and WEGA background,
> with lots of "strange" mainframe knowledge), I had similar
> trouble. I had many issues with C, too, before it became
> my primary programming language, but the fact that I can
> master FreeBSD now (at a sufficient level) is due to the
> fact that I had much good help, especially from this list,
> as well as much practice. Recognizing and resolving library
> requirements can surely be such a step into the right
> direction. It's not a state, it's a process.
>
> In the future, PJ will not only know that things work, but
> additionally understand *how* and *why* they work, and this
> will make him a master of FreeBSD, too.

Hi Polytropon,

thanks, I hope you are right, and I would love to see PJ become a
master of FreeBSD, but my impression from the mailing list is that that
progress is going to be too long and too frustrating.  I suppose only
PJ can know if he/she feels that progress is happening.  Nonetheless, I
stand by the advice to work systematically through the handbook and try
to gain a real understanding rather than a series of fixes.  I suppose
I was suggesting that rather than address endless frustrating symptoms
of what looks like a mismatch between PJ's character (not ability, I
certainly do not wish to disparage that - by character I mean a
reluctance to stand back, slow down and approach the learning
systematically and to give it the time it will need) and the FreeBSD
way of doing things, it might be better to just move to something
more pre-packaged.  PC-BSD may well be a good choice, I haven't tried
it.

Oh, and you are exactly right about the kind of understanding that can
come with spending time with FreeBSD.  But perhaps it's not for
everyone.

Best,
Tony