Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 01:08:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: User-mode PPP, -auto, and -direct

Nate wrote ..

> > [ Having PPP auto-dial the connection no matter if it's needed or not ]

> > OK.  The PPP code is quite readable, so I was able to get it to do what
> > I wanted in 5 lines of actual code.

 [ .. ]

 .. then Soren wrote ..

> We want it ! (or at least I do :)

Er .. I was under the impression that a "dial" command in the relevant
(host-specific) section of ppp.conf did just this .. did I miss something ?

I've given up trying to use user-land PPP, however, as it is very (too)
strict about getting either LQR or LCP echos. Modem-based links around here
are almost always saturated to the point of losing the occasional echo
response (people trying to slurp "full" newsfeeds down it and so on) .. in
that event, user-land PPP will happily drop the call and 10 secs later dial
back again because it thinks the link went away. The result is simply too
many $$$$$$ added to the 'phone bill. I'd appreciate some mechanism of
turning it off completely,

	michael