Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 10:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Kelly Yancey wrote:
> >=20
> >   I admit that they are less common than say 320x240 mode x...but they =
are
> > linear and don't require any hacking to support from applications which
> > would use graphics modes (unlike the unchained "modex" modes).=20
> >   I absolutely agree that we should keep the kernel as lean as
> > possible. And I would *love* to put the modes into a module (that was m=
> > original plan)...but to do that, I need get_mode_param to be extern'ed
> > from vga_isa.c so that the module can access the BIOS mode table (or el=
se
> > re-implement the code in vga_isa.c to access the mode table). All I am
> > looking for is the OK to make that routine extern in my patches and I'l=
> > make a module. My biggest concern is that get_mode_param is obviously
> > considered an internal API and thus subject to change...change which wo=
uld
> > then break my KLD. :(
> >   With a module, I would suggest moving the implemention of the 320x240
> > modex mode there also (or else remove it altogether...but with a module=
,
> > removing it would be unnessicary). And with a module, there would be no
> > harm in implementing the other 6 modex modes (320x400, 320x480, 360x200=
,
> > 360x240, 360x400, 360x480).
> >   If I can get past the get_mode_param hangup, then there would be no
> > reason no to implement 2 KLD's: one for the tweaked video modes and one
> > for the 90-column text modes.
>=20
> Hmm, I see no problem in publicising get_mode_param, the only thing
> is that it might change over time, but thats another matter...
>=20
> -S=F8ren
>=20

  Well, Kazutaka apparently is already putting the text modes in syscons
(it is really just a few extra lines of code to support). But I'll get
together a patch set which externs get_mode_param and includes a new
module for the 6 modex modes and the other 3 linear modes we've been
bouncing around. I'm not going to attempt it at first, but perhaps we
could move the existing 320x240 modex mode into the KLD down the road too.
  I'll post those patches as soon as I'm done with them.

  Thanks everyone for all the input,

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@alcnet.com~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/