Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:17:12 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: awk question: replacing "%d%s" by "%d %s"

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:22:18 -0600 (CST), Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
> True.  But
>      sub(nr,"[a-z]"," &");
>
> does the trick.  (tested on Freebsd 7.2)
>
> Explamation: "&" is a  'replacement side' magic incantation to the regex
> library that means 'that which was matched by the pattern regex'.

Doesn't work on my 7-STABLE system (20080811), awk stops:

awk: syntax error at source line 78 source file konvertieren.awk
 context is
awk: illegal statement at source line 79 source file konvertieren.awk

But I'll keep your suggestion in the program source and test
it on 8 as soon as my "new" home system is ready to use. At
least, the & variant looks much better.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany