Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:43:54 +0000
From:      "Digital Brain" <digitalbrain@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient and ADSL modem trouble...

Hi!

I'm setting up a gateway server on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE but I'm having
problems getting FreeBSD to work with my ADSL modem (provided by ISP, no
documentation, nothing on the net :-( ).

The problem is I'm trying to get my private IP via "dhclient -v ed0" and all
I observe is
a series of "DHCPDISCOVER on ed0 to xxxxxx port 67 interval x" and in the
end a
message saying "No DHCPOFFER received".

I've also used tcpdump to figure out what's going on with dhclient -- all I
can see is the dhcp requests from my machine and *no* replies whatsoever. As
if the ISP's DHCP server  never received a request.

The bpf device is included in the kernel config and I don't think it's a NIC
problem (it works OK when I manually set the IP and ISP gateway). It's also
not a network cable problem or ADSL modem problem (pls see below).

Linux machines with dhcpcd and other Windows machines I've tried, all work
OK and receive a private IP from my ISP. While monitoring the dhcp exchange
with Ethereal, I can see 1 dhcp request and shortly after a dhcp reply with
an assigned IP.

Is there a problem with the particular version of dhclient in FreeBSD 5.3?

Are there any solutions to this problem (preferably using FBSD-5.3)?

---
Thanks in advance.