Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:44:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, desars@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Gigabit Ethernet controller support (Intel 82563)

Emmanuel de Sars wrote:
 > looking for a clear answer about the Intel 82563 eth. controller support
 > in FreeBSD,

As far as I can tell, the intel 82563 is _not_ an Ethernet
controller, but a MAC/PHY chip.  It is supported by FreeBSD.

If you want to kow if your Ethernet controller is supported,
we need to know what controller it is (e.g. vendor ID and
product ID from "pciconf -lv" output).  I think that the
support for intel NICs is very good, thanks to Jack Vogel,
so yours will probably work fine with either the em(4) or
igb(4) driver.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters