Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 01:59:16 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP and memory corruption?

>: There was a bogon discovered in the VJ compression routines in slcompress.c
>: and pppcompress.c that were fixed around then.
>: The current versions are
>:
>: stable :  $Id: slcompress.c,v 1.5.4.1 1996/04/11 06:51:53 davidg Exp $
>: current:  $Id: slcompress.c,v 1.7 1996/04/11 06:46:24 davidg Exp $
>:
>: The bug would have affected both SLIP and kernel ppp.
>
>Hmmmm.  We the kernel from sources just after this fix went into the
>kernel....  Maybe that's a clue.

   The bugfix was for a potential memory corruption problem that could occur
for garbage packets. The fix was to do better header validity checking before
using bogus size values.
   In other words, it might improve the situation, but it certainly will not
make it worse or create a new one. There are several people that do SLIP in a
big way (>8 ports simulataneously) and are not having the problem you're
describing. I really have no idea what might be causing the symptoms you're
having, but if you collect any additional information in the future, please
pass it on to me.

-DG

David Greenman