Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:15:25 -0400
From:      "N. Thomas" <nthomas@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   a poltergeist unmounting my cdrom

I have a Pentium 166 with two IDE hard drives and one IDE cdrom drive.

The cdrom is giving some problems:

   1. I sometimes can't mount it, because I get a "cd9660: device busy"
      error. This happens even though I've not done anything after the
      machine has booted up except login and su to root.

   2. If I wait a couple of minutes, or after trying to mount it about 27
      times, it finally mounts, even though I didn't do anything different
      the 28th time.

   3. Worse than the mounting problem is this: After I've mounted it, I can
      access /cdrom and use it properly. But sometimes everything sort of
      quietly "unmounts".

      mount(1) tells me that /cdrom is still mounted, but cd'ing into /cdrom
      and running ls shows that it is not. I can unmount it, and after
      messing with the problems described in #2, usually mount it again.

      I think (but I am not sure) it is somehow being unmounted after a
      period of no activity...

The other day I was installing some X packages, and I ran something like:

   cd /cdrom/path/to/packages/x11;
   pkg_add Xfoo.tgz foo1.tgz foo2.tgz foo3.tgz

and while one package was being added (it is slow on my machine) the cdrom
did this unmount thing and I got an error from pkg_add that it couldn't stat
/cdrom/path/to/packages/x11/foo1.tgz or something to that effect.

I'm almost certain it is a software issue because:

   1. the cdrom is always recognized during the boot sequence

and

   2. during installation, FreeBSD always recognizes and uses this cdrom

FYI, I'm running 4.4-RELEASE with the stock kernel and pretty much
everything on the system is untouched from the default (minimal) install.

--
N. Thomas
nthomas@cise.ufl.edu