Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:42:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>, kodiak@Rigel.orionsys.com, uwp@ukrv.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Coping Files From MS-DOS to a BSD Partitian?

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Robert Nordier wrote:

> If your DOS filesystem has a cluster size exceeding 16K, don't use any
> FreeBSD release earlier than 2.2.  It's that simple. :-)
>
> If you follow the rule above, the msdosfs is quite usable.  It has
> various bugs, but it works reasonably well for simple operations.

I can vouch for that. I have used my DOS filesystem extensively in
FreeBSD, reading, writing, using Unix zip and unzip, etc. My only
complaint is the ^M character that pops up in text files due to DOS/Unix
differences. I've not had any errors pop up in FreeBSD or DOS, including
lost sectors, etc.

IMHO FreeBSD's DOS support is in great shape. I suppose I'm just lucky to
have 8K clusters in my FAT.

    / \  / \ / | / \    / \    University of Washington  ()
    | | / / / /  |  \   | |      Chemical Engineering    /\
    | |\ \ \ \   | |  \   |  I bask in my own insignificance.