Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 13:46:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i have a system that will not installworld. [solved]

> On 2007, May 28, at 22:14, Jonathan Horne wrote:
>> i just did a buildkernel and world, and installing the kernel was
>> normal with
>> no issues.  mergemaster -p, and then when i installworld, i get this:
>>
>> phoenix# make installworld
>> mkdir -p /tmp/install.iA4Zk47v
>> for prog in [ awk cap_mkdb cat chflags chmod chown  date echo egrep
>> find grep
>> install-info  ln lockf make mkdir mtree mv pwd_mkdb rm sed sh
>> sysctl  test
>> true uname wc zic; do  cp `which $prog` /tmp/install.iA4Zk47v;  done
>> cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj  MACHINE_ARCH=i386
>> MACHINE=i386
>> CPUTYPE=  GROFF_BIN_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin
>> GROFF_FONT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/groff_font
>> GROFF_TMAC_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/share/tmac
>> PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/
>> legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/
>> src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/
>> usr/games:/tmp/install.iA4Zk47v
>> make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall
>> make: Permission denied
>> *** Error code 126
>
> What are your mount options on /tmp, they wouldn't include noexec,
> would they?
>
> If so: mount -u -o exec /tmp
>

> -p

yay!! thats it!!  i knew it was going to be something like that, but i just
couldnt place my finger on it.  the guy i built this box for, previously had a
linux box running that got exploited.  their exploit was running stuff from
within the /tmp directory (i believe they exploited the out-of-version phpbb
that was running).  anyway, long story short, the gent i built this box for has
prewired himself with a fear of the /tmp directory (with good reason, i
suppose).

once i remounted without noexec, it worked as expected.  good call, philip!
--
Jonathan Horne
freebsd@dfwlp.com