Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:15:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
To:        Anthony Hill <ahill@blacksun.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: standard print setup.

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Anthony Hill wrote:

> I have having some probelms getting my basic print setup to work under
> 2.2.1-Release. When I try to use lpr to print - I get a message like :-
>
> bash$ lptest 30 10 | lpr
> lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
> bash$

Wow, I think I can answer this one!  ;-)  I was seeing the same error.
Do you have more than one printer pointing to /var/spool/output/lpd
(i.e. several printer defs with :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:)?

If yes: Don't.  ;-)  Make separate directories for each def.

When I gave each of my printers a separate directory to live in, all was well
(Originaly I had a separate directory for each physical device but not for
each printer definition, and FreeBSD wasn't happy.)

-------------------<80-column fixed-width text follows>-------------------
--
 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>    |  E-mail:  flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu
 Gallaudet Research Institute  |  WWW:     http://pchb1f.gallaudet.edu/