Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:28:04 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD/OLDCARD compatibility layer

In message <200010241438.XAA58776@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp> Takanori Watanabe writes:
: I looked card_if.m and I think there is a problem:If there is a system
: that have neither OLDCARD or NEWCARD layer, module-ifyed driver that
: uses NEWCARD/OLDCARD compatibility layer mechanism cannot load because
: pccard_compat_probe/pccard_compat_attach is not exist.

You are correct.  I didn't think this would be a problem, but does
impose ordering constraints to module loading which might be
undesirable.  However, I think that there are other issues with doing
this module loading as well that are "silent" killers if done
improperly.

Reguardless of the other issues, I think this is a step in the right
direction.

: How about this change?
: And ,in child driver side, PCCARD_COMPAT_LAYER should be defined
: to use pccard_compat_* function before including "card_if.h".

I see no harm in having them defnied all the time for now.  I'll test
this out when I get some time and report back.

Warner