Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:08:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Markus Minihold <Markus.Minihold@telecom.at>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: ATAPI CDROM dedection problem

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Markus Minihold wrote:

> I asked on the list some days ago for help on ATAPI CDROM's because
> these devices are not recognized during installation. I've now finished
> my installation tests and will present you what combination is dedected
> and working.

You may want to provide some vital information here like model numbers of
the MB's, drives, etc.  Also, the output from booting verbosly may be
helpful.

Personally, I have two machines here with a single HD as primary/master
and a cdrom as secondary/master and have never had a problem with
detection.

Also, you may want to scan the -current/-hacker archives from the last few
weeks.  IIRC, there were some discussions regarding IDE/ATAPI detection,
standards, and such.

Regards,
Chris

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org> | All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,       | claimed they were one and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.     | pointed to someone better.