Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:53:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: www.edns.com

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Steven Ames wrote:

> Has anyone looked at www.edns.com? They offer a secondary set of
> top level domain servers that house a LOT more TLDs. Their documentation
> suggests replacing the standard InterNIC cache file with theirs, but I
> find that just adding a second line for
>
> cache	.	named.edns

eDNS is considered to be a rogue outfit by most ISP's and other Internet
luminaries. If you want to see what the "official" folks are doing to
create new TLD's have a look at http://www.iahc.org. In fact, you should
consider signing the gTLD Memorandum of Understanding since service
providers are being invited to sign. Every organization that signs the MoU
will have a seat on the Policy Advisory Board that will influence the
future management of global generic TLD's.

Note that eDNS has some TLD's that conflict with the IAHC list of 7 new
TLD's. There is also another rogue outfit called namespace that also has
TLD's which conflict with both eDNS and IAHC.

> I only ask this question here because I wondered if FreeBSD intends
> to add their root servers to the standard cache file distributed
> with FreeBSD. It'd sure be a shot in the arm for their project...

A shot in the arm with pheno-barbitol is *NOT* what the FreeBSD project
needs, thank you.

> Anyone got the pros/cons on this?

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com