Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:46:43 +0700
From:      John Indra <john@indocyber.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD locks up frequently...

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

Dear FreeBSD users...

First of all, I feel obliged to explain my subject line. This mail isn't
about mocking (or anything similar to that) FreeBSD cause I really love
FreeBSD. This mail is purely a means for me to get help on how to remedy and
probably solve my problems.

For some background info: I have a Compaq Deskpro EP system with Pentium III
500 MHz, 256 SDRAM, 10 gigs Quantum harddrive, 3Com Boomerang NIC. This
system is quite new.  When I first had this machine, I installed FreeBSD 3.4
on it. It served as a web server, gateway, firewall, mail server and proxy.
The system is VERY stable. Days without any single unintentional reboots.

After that, I formatted my harddrive (intentionally) to install FreeBSD
4.0-20000714 directly from ftp://releng4.freebsd.org. Installation went
perfect, I have a new 4.0-STABLE system served as web server, gateway,
firewall, mail server, and proxy, the same job that I've given FreeBSD 3.4
before.  Then... the first weird occation happened. One day, when I arrived
at my office first thing in the morning, I found my system locked up!  I
could switch to any virtual terminals (v0 to v7) but I couldn't login! When
I typed my username at login prompt, it didn't echo. I was sure that scroll
lock was off, and I make sure that Ctrl+S was not active. My harddrive LED
light on all the time and I heard my harddrive spinning. Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't
even respond thus all I could do was to power down the system. Sigh...  I
compiled my kernel without any odd options, just to provide firewalling and
my hardware, that's it! I have a blank /etc/make.conf so I have a kernel
compiled without any compiler optimization settings.  The system experienced
the same lock up every 3 days thus I couldn't have more than 3 days of
uptime.

One day, I formatted my harddrive again (once again, intentionally),
installed FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE which I got from burning the ISO, cvsup to
4.1-STABLE. All went perfectly. Here's the output of uname:
[john@maverick john]$ uname -a
FreeBSD maverick.indocyber.com 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Sun Aug 20
10:24:41 JAVT 2000
root@maverick.indocyber.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MAVERICK  i386

I compiled my kernel with COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe. Then unexpectedly, when I
arrived ay the office this morning, I found it locked up like before.
Sigh... I tried to track what's happening from all the logs
(/var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd/error.log, /var/log/qmail/current, and
all relevant logs I have) but get nothing from all the log files.

I hardly believe that this is a hardware problem. When I'm in the office, on
daily activities (Apache, Squid, MySQL, qmail, ipfw all running), I
frequently run gcc to compile a LOT of apps (most of them are compiling the
ports) concurrently. The machine never core dumps, never segfault, never get
any signal 6, 11, or 12, it just rocks solid, as solid as can be. FYI For
firewalling rules, I used /etc/rc.firewall simple configuration.  But why
doesn't it have all days without unintentional reboots just like before,
when I have a FreeBSD 3.4?  How can I really trace what has made my machine
to lock up? Is it some kind of DoS? Is my machine attacked from the
Internet? Cause after the lock up, it just won't even responds to pings.
After I rebooted the machine, fsck never gets a lot of home cleaning to do.
I even don't lose any files at all.  This indicated that maybe the system
wasn't busy at all.

Attached is my kernel config. I hope all of you guys on this mailing list
can enlighten me on this problem. Thanks a lot...

Regards,
John Indra

--fdj2RfSjLxBAspz7

machine		i386
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		MAVERICK
maxusers	256

options 	INET
options 	FFS
options 	FFS_ROOT
options 	SOFTUPDATES
options		QUOTA
options 	COMPAT_43
options 	UCONSOLE
options 	USERCONFIG
options 	VISUAL_USERCONFIG
options 	KTRACE
options 	SYSVSHM
options 	SYSVMSG
options 	SYSVSEM
options		SHMMAX=33554432
options		SHMALL=16384
options 	P1003_1B
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
options		USER_LDT
options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options		IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options		IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options		IPDIVERT
options		IPSTEALTH
options		DUMMYNET
options		NMBCLUSTERS=8192
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID
options 	ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
options		TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options		TCP_RESTRICT_RST
options		ICMP_BANDLIM

device		pcm
device		sbc
device		isa
device		pci
device		fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device		ata
device		atadisk
device		atapicd
device		atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12
device		vga0	at isa?
device		sc0	at isa? flags 0x100
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus
device		lpt