Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:59:06 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src.conf question

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:44:16 +0100, Robert <traveling08@cox.net> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I will be upgrading my main desktop system from 8-stable to 9-stable
> this week and am quite confused with regards to Clang vs GCC. I have
> complete backups and will be doing a complete re-install.
>
> I have seen several different examples of what to put
> into /etc/src.conf and /etc/make.conf and am not sure if it is safe or
> even advisable to make the move to Clang for source and ports.
>
> Can someone help with this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Robert

Clang in 9 works, but is not officially supported. If you are not sure I
advise you to do the upgrade using the supported methods as described in
/usr/src/UPDATING or the handbook[1].
After upgrading you can always change the default compiler to clang[2] and
play with it from a known working state.

Ronald.

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading.html
[2] http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang