Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:34:03 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Dave <dpanfil@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what to download

> Dave wrote:
>
> I am interested in downloading and installing freebsd but I
> don't know what is necessary to download. I want to make a
> cd and I am not familiar with ftp downloads. can you help?

Go to
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/
handbook/mirrors-ftp.html (URL split on two rows)
and find an FTP location near you.

You can use your favourite browser (which probably have FTP
capabilities) and open the link. Then go to
ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.6/
download the 4.6-disc1.iso and burn it on a CD. I suppose you
know how to burn ISO:s.

The other discs contains packages which can be handy, but they
are not a requirement to install the base system.

You should probably visit http://www.freebsd.org/ and read all
about it, i.e. the Handbook!

Good luck!

Best regards,