Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 00:50:51 +0100
From:      Pete Carss <itinerant@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to install FBSD5.2.1 and Windows XP what proceedure to  follow.

Eric Parsonage wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A30 whic currently has WIndows XP home on it but
> it is brand new so I dont mind trashing it and starting from scratch.
>
> I want to Dual boot with FBSD 5.2.1 and Windows XP Pro. I need to put XP
> home on the machine before XP Pro upgrades it so I get all the toshiba
> utilities.
>
> Can anybody give me any advice on what order to do everything in and what
> tools to use ?
>
> Regards Eric Parsonage

I've used the partition magic route many times - I've lost count. I've
never done anything special - resize with Partition Magic - boot off the
   FreeBSD cdrom and create a slice in the remaining space (I don't need
to pass things between OSs much) - the FreeBSD boot loader boots XP fine
so you can install it into the MBR - although it always comes up with
??? as the label for the windows partition (I've grown kindof fond of
this recently ??? seems fitting for windows)

Pete