Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:10:42 +1000
From:      "Jan Mikkelsen" <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        "Karl Denninger" <karl@denninger.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for a serial port card you can actually BUY?

Hi,

Karl Denninger wrote:
> So..... I have an application that requires six serial ports, and would
> like ten.  5.x FreeBSD versions are being EOL'd per the announcement,
> forcing me to move to 6.x.  The Comtrol driver for the "Smart"
> Rocketport boards is broken in 6.x, and the PR appears to be one
> that will sit and rot.
>
> What options do I have in the FreeBSD universe here guys?  This is a
> real no-BS production application that has hundreds of deployed instances,
> and it is in no way "obsolete" or something I intend to stop supporting.
>
> I know serial I/O is passe for many, but some of us have applications that
> actually require it, and can't rationally be moved to anything else due
> to external hardware considerations.

I do serial I/O a bit.  I use USB to RS232 and USB to RS485/RS422 devices.
There are a bunch of vendors, they are cheap and seem to work well.  I have
also seen (but not used) 4 port versions of these things, and I wouldn't be
surprised if you could find an eight port version as well.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen