Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 14:23:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General Buildworld request

Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Whenever I run buildworld, buildkernel, mergemaster, installworld or
> installkernel I use tee to redirect the output to a log file in case
> I need to troubleshoot a problem or check what was updated.
> I also timestamp the beginning of the process by sending the output
> of 'date' to the top of each logfile.
>
> For some time now, the kernel build process has internally echoed the
> start time at the beginning of the process.
>
> Since I have to think that knowing how long the build process takes
> is interesting to most people who have to keep machines updated, is
> it too much to ask that "buildworld" adopt the same practice as
> "buildkernel" and echo a timestamp at the beginning, so I don't have
> to do it manually each time in order to track how long the process
> takes? (stamping the end might also be handy, although by default one
> can just look at the file timestamp, unless it gets changed for some
> reason)

I have a number of shell scripts such as the following one I call
mkworld. It is

#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/src
make buildworld 2>&1 | tee /var/log/build/bworld-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log

You have to undo the wrap and I time by doing nothing more than "time
mkworld". I also get a complete copy of my build. I have one for
mkkernel, inkernel, and inworld.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart