Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 15:15:17 +0900
From:      Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>
To:        hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet card not coming up on reboot

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:00:12 -1000
hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com spake thus:

> Aloha Eric and Luke
>
> I am aware that sysinstall will append to rc.conf.
> I went ahead and deleted all of the appends and rebooted.
> The ethernet did not come up on reboot. I had to use
> sysinstall to get an ip. And yes, it did append to
> rc.conf again.
>
> I will look into setting a static ip but I would like
> to know why this is happening. I have 3 other boxes
> that have FreeBSD on them and they don't have this problem.
>
> Robert

When you used /stand/sysinstall again did you reboot to get the IP or
did you bring up the interface by hand? I am wondering if having only
one config line in rc.conf gives you no IP upon boot whether or not
having booted and go no address can you get one by using netstart or not?
eg

#sh /etc/netstart

This should re-read your rc.conf file and execute the network related
cmds.

One more shot in the dark and believe me this is a shot in the dark, try
changing the line in rc.conf to ifconfig_sk0="UP" and then through
rc.local run dhclient as a separate script. The net effect being that
you start the interface before trying to get an IP as a separate process.

Just out of curiousity, your other three machines that don't have this
problem, are they all identical to the machine that does? Somehow I
think they are probably all unique in which case we can continue to
focus on the machine at hand.

HTH

LukeK

--