Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:23:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        gaotu@yahoo.com (Gao Tu)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to connect at home cable modem

Gao Tu wrote,

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to connect my Freebsd3.3 machine to the
> internet via athome cable modem. My kernal is a
> generic one and I am using an Intel Pro10/100B
> Ethernet card.
> The card is detected as fxp0.

OK, your hardware for all of this is "go."

> So, I went to the /stand/sysinstall and put all the
> information in. Then reboot the machine and login in
> again as root. I try to ping athome's gateway machine.
> I can't....
>
> I issue the following command:
> ifconfig fxp0 my_machine_assigned_ip

Problem 1: Your IP with @Home is something like 24.x.x.x, right? You
need to explicitly give ifconfig your netmask, which is probably
255.255.255.0, or else it will assume the netmask is 255.0.0.0. This
is because 24.x.x.x is an "historic class A" net. The command would
be,

# ifconfig fxp0 <your_IP> netmask 255.255.255.0

And add the following to /etc/rc.conf,

ifconfig_fxp0="inet <your_IP>  netmask 255.255.255.0"

> ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1
> route add -net my_machine_assigned_ip
> athome_gateway_ip

Problem 2: I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. You want to
route all traffic on your local net to the router? But it's local
traffic which means your _don't_ need a router. Is this what you mean,

# route add default <gateway_IP>

That tells your computer where to send all traffic that is _not_
local. Add the following to /etc/rc.conf,

defaultrouter="<gateway_IP>"

> I was able to ping athome's gateway machine and their
> DNS server. I tried to ping a machine outside athome
> domain. I can get the machine's IP address right. But
> no package was acknowledged.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or have
> simular experience to share? Do I need rebuild the
> kernal? (I was hoping to test everything out before
> build my own kernal). Did I miss any thing?

Looks like a misconfiguration of your networking options. No need to
change the kernel.