Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:10:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD hangs during compiles (!)

	Hi--

	I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE on a new desktop machine, and
I've been having trouble lately. Here's my hardware setup:

	ABit BH6 motherboard
	Celeron 300A, overclocked to 450
	64MB SDRAM (PC100)
	5GB IDE hard disk
	3com 3C509B ethernet card
	Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA
	Matrox Millennium G200

	Now, I don't know why it's doing this, and lord knows I've tried
to figure it out... but sometimes, during a compile, the machine will just
hang. No more mouse movement, no keyboard input, no activity in any
screens, no network response. The only thing I can do is a hard reset.

	Nothing ever gets logged to /var/log/anything. It's all very
sudden and without warning.

	Sometimes, my "make" processes will die unexpectedly with a "gcc
caught signal 11" error. I suspect that may be related, though I can
generally just "make" again and it will resume without trouble. But
usually, that's a sign that it will out-and-out hang in a few minutes.

	The bizarre thing is that this only seems to happen when I'm
compiling. It happened once before when I was doing a large NFS transfer
and playing an MP3 audio file at the same time, but every other time (~15
now) it was at some random point in a make.

	Does anyone know of a way I can narrow down my options for
figuring out what this problem might be? I've tried isolating it to NFS
and to my Sound Blaster, since this only started after I enabled SB
support in my kernel and did some NFS mounts (on the same day); but it's
crashed now with neither of those enabled, so I'm back to square one.

	Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated... :)

Brian