Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:12:52 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joe Beiter <jwb@xioa.cosmic.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plug and Play naivety

> My BIOs also claims to support plug and play. In Freebsd (2.2.2-R) I have
> set the sound card (soundblaster 16) to the same settings Windoze 95 picked
> up but the Kernel still can't find the card.

Your BIOS is leaving the card disabled because it is not a device
required for booting.  This is correct behaviour according to the PnP
standard document.

Windows '95 will be performing resource allocation and activating the
card.  There is no code in FreeBSD 2.2.* to do this.

> I was going to seek out this beta driver until I saw Janice's posting. What
> is my recourse? Do without the sound card or find another OS?

That depends on your requirements.  I wouldn't be exactly inclined to
chose an operating system based on whether or not it supported my
soundcard, but your criteria may vary.

> I'm already "doing without" PPP due to an obscure problem between pppd and
> a particular release of Bay code.

... you could always try the usermode 'ppp', which is slightly more
actively maintained, or attempt to work through your problem with Paul
Mackerras. (The developer/maintainer of the 'pppd' program.)

> ]1. mail from Sujal notes that "if your motherboard supports PnP
> ]devices, then you don't need this code". What does this mean?

It's not entirely correct, in that it implies that the PnP BIOS will
leave all devices enabled.  Some older systems did this; it is not
universal.

mike