Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 10:22:48 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Max Karesev <maxy@haven.ios.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD_Q

Max Karesev wrote:

>         Dear Walnut Creek!
> I have installed FreeBSD on my PC and I have the following problem.
> BSD is installed on master hard drive (1083.8Mb) and shares the drive
> with DOS. DOS partition is located at the beginning of the drive and
> ends properly so that BSD's /root is within the first 1024 cylinders.
> However, it seems that disk giometry is wrong. BSD only boots IF it was
> the default. Otherwise, if the default is DOS and I press F2 for BSD,
> it hangs, and I only can bootstrap from a floppy and then notify the
> kernel about the boot partition.
>         My hard drive is WD Caviar AC21000. According to its manual, it
> has 2100 actual cyls, 16 heads, 63 sect./track. And it is the same as
> was initially recognized by CMOS setup. However, when installing BSD,
> the partition manager gives me this geometry: 525 cyls, 64 heads, 63 sect.
> It does not work. Neither does the manual-given geometry. Another detail:
> Norton Utilities says: 64 sides, 524 tracks, 63 sect/trk.  Which (if any)
> is correct geometry? How can I figure it out? I tried a number of possible
> geometries. Are there any tools which could give me the correct info?
> Why does Norton say "524" while BSD says "525"? I am stuck.

Welp, I don't know for _sure_ and I'm sure I'll be corrected if
I'm wrong. :)

<assume LBA mode on>
If I read the Handbook correctly it states that you _must_
disable LBA mode, Seems logical being FreeBSD dosn't have any
problem dealing with large drives and needs the TRUE disk geometry.

Your Dos won't have any problems being that it's not trying to go
over the 1024 limit.

Be warned!! Disabling LBA can/will destroy all data on drive.
So BACK UP!
<assume LBA mode off>

Or OnTrack crashlation.

Read the section on EIDE drives in the handbook, Section 2.5.7 in
my copy..

Hope this helps.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848