Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:40:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Shaun Q." <kb8rjy@m-net.arbornet.org>
To:        Aram Compeau <aram@tibco.com>
Cc:        Brian McGroarty <BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The $500 Performance Question

One question for you, Brian -

Have you tried the new ata driver in fbsd (versus the default wd0).  I've
noticed a HUGE i/o speed difference on my machine (AMD K6-2, Biostar M5ALA
w/ALI UDMA PCI Controller, 128 mb ram).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe that this driver is what allows fbsd to use the udma features of
your hard drive/controller.

Also, you may want to try the SOFTUPDATES option.  There's a slight speed
increase with this option in regards to disk i/o on my machine.

TTYL, and good luck!

Shaun Qualheim