Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:45:00 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is this character encoding or corrupted text?

Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=292893+0+archive/2001/cvs-
> all/20010429.cvs-all
>
> In the log, the name "Matthias Kvppe" appears.  Is that the correct name?

That is probably "Matthias Köppe" (ISO 8859-15) with the top bit
cut off.  Or "Matthias Koeppe" in transcription.

> My next question is how to properly handle these characters.

First you need to figure what the original character was.  Since
you can't tag CVS logs and such with character sets, you'll then
have to come up with an ASCII transcription according to the rules
of the originating language.

(Alternatively people could agree to use UTF-8, but FreeBSD support
for that is painfully weak.  And you'd still have to convert from
whatever original character set to UTF-8.)