Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rstan@ime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reboot after Installation...

  Hello all,

	I have attempted to install FreeBSD via FTP.  I booted up the
floopy, configured the kernel for my hardware, and then went through the
Novice Installation.  I chose to do a minimal installation and things went
smoothly.  After the download, I was presented with a message box saying
that FreeBSD had been successfully installed and that my machine would now
reboot and try to start up from the harddisk.  I, of course, removed the
floppy, and allowed my machine to boot.  The hardware was probed, like you
would expect but shortly after I saw these messages :

	/etc/rc:  Can't open /etc/rc
	init:  /etc/spwd.db:  No such file or directory
	Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

I then performed a "df" to see what I had for a filesystem and all that
appeared was :

	root_device   "some stuff about usage"   /

When I did a "ls" it appeared that I had an /etc dir and a /usr dir and so
on, but when I tried to cd to one of them I got a message saying that I
could not.

I have tried to allow Win95 and FreeBSD exist on the same drive with a
boot manager and then I even tried allowing FreeBSD to use the entire
disk, bith with the same results.  My only guess is FreeBSD is getting fed
the wrong info about the disk geometry.  What do you think?  :)

	Thank you for your throughts,
	- Richard