Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 16:22:24 +0200
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disaster recovery - killed the partition table on my bootdisk

I've been a very stupid boy today.

I was trying to newfs one of my 9G disks (ad0) and hang it in /etc/fstab.
When I applied the 'manual' handbook procedure to this disc, I made a
critical error;

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1k count=1
# disklabel -Brw da1 auto
# disklabel -e da1               # create the `e' partition
# newfs -d0 /dev/rda1e
# mkdir -p /1
# vi /etc/fstab               # add an entry for /dev/da1e
# mount /1

when I ran commands 1-3 on my da0 (boot)disk!

It gave me a warning error on the second disklabel command, which kinda
made me go 'whoops; shouldnt be doing this on this disc'. I then (scared)
proceeded to use /stand/sysinstall to newfs the ad0 disk.

When I rebooted, however, my system wouldn't come online anymore. (yeah,
yeah, surprise, surprise ;)..... unhapiness.

I have grabbed my original 4.2-Release bootCD, and am able to use that to
view the installation menu. When viewing the disklabel for my da0 disk, I
see that there are no partitions and/or slices.

My question is very simple; can I still resque the data on my da0 disk,
and if so, how? I know the approximate layout of my disk; it was

300M for /
1500M for /usr
200M for /var

but ofcourse, I am probably forgetting how much /swap I had ;(((