Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:36:10 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make world - selecting what will be made

On Tue 2001-02-13 (14:29), Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade to 4.2-STABLE
>
> I have done the cvsup according to the handbook, and I'm now ready to
> do the make world. Couple of questions....
>
> 1. Is there any way to ensure that some software is not built (eg
> sendmail) ?

NO_SENDMAIL=yes (on command line, or /etc/make.conf.  If you use command
line, make sure you do it for both buildworld and installworld).

(this will still build /usr/sbin/sendmail, since that's mailwrapper.  If
you're not using mailwrapper, learn how to use it, and use it.)

> 2. Is there any way to specify an alternative package to a current one
> (eg exim for sendmail)?

No.

> 3. Do I have to do a make installworld when make world is finished?

If you don't, it doesn't get installed.

> 4. Is there any way to build with optimisations for a PIII? like -O6
> or --march-i686 ?

make CFLAGS="-O6 -march=i686" buildworld

(or put it in /etc/make.conf)

(By the way, don't build with anything but -O, or you may get unexpected
optimization bugs.  If you value reliability, use -O.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org