Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:39:19 -0000
From:      "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

On 25 Jun 99, at 8:58, Mark Conway Wirt wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 07:53:32PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> > * Leif Neland (leifn@neland.dk) [990624 19:17]:
> > >
> > > Why not use uucp? Is it just considered old-fashioned, nobody understands
> > > how to set it up, or are there heavy reasons not to use uucp?
> >
> > It seems nowadays nobody knows how to set it up anymore.
>

> I Think it's more appropriate to say that "nowadays no MTA seem to
> understand it" ;-)  I hate issuing static IP's to dialup accounts -- even
> business class, but with both MS Exchange and Lotus's products, you have
> no choice.  They're a bit brain dead....

If someone is running Exchange, Lotus Notes, Groupwise,
Sendmail, or even Mercury, they are trying to run their own email
services.  And it would seem to be easiest if they have a fixed IP
address.

Even if you can remap the IP address for mail.mycustomer.com in
DNS on the fly, the changes will take a while to propogate.... it
seems better to give these people a static IP, even if it is a pain.

Or - do you have a better solution?

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Cereal port not responding - BREAKFAST halted.