Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 05:40:56 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Bob Cohen" <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Bob Cohen <bcohen@bpecreative.com> types:
> Thanks for the interesting and informative discussion about
> firewalls and site cracking.  Though much of it went over my
> head, as I am a web designer type, you have convinced me
> that the best course of action will be to set up a
> router/gateway w/FreeBSD.  Mine is a cable connection, will
> the cheat sheets provide me a good start?  How can I learn
> enough to build a solid firewall without spending all my
> waking time, and therefore my billing time?

As Ted mentioned, FreeBSD boxes aren't the easiest
alternative. Linksys (among others) makes some cable/dsl router boxes
that do firewall & nat, and work reasonably well. If you're not going
to offer services to the internet over your cable connection, that's a
perfectly reasonable choice, and take near zero effort to set up and
admin. I've poked at a few of them, and there's nothing wrong in the
firewall setup on them for that purpose. It's not as flexible as a
FreeBSD box - but it takes less of almost any resource you care to
name.

If you want to build one based on FreeBSD, there are two books cited
in /etc/rc.firewall that make an excellent start. The Chapman & Zwicky
is sufficient; it covers the details of how you configure things, and
provides the theory behind why it's done the way it is.

	<mike