Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 09:58:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        mikee@solozzo.tele.pw.edu.pl (Adam Kubicki)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with compaq

[Moved to -questions.  Please guys, this is absolutely not the kind of
questions that should go to -core!  Trust the other users, these
questions are so simple that they could have been answered by many
other people.]

As Adam Kubicki wrote:
> hi team!
>
> I've got two compaq deskpro 5100 computers, and i have serious problems
> with them trying to run freebsd 2.1.0-R. I searched hardware, questions
> and installation mailling lists archives on www.freebsd.org but i still
> can't find solutions. The first problem is, that FreeBSD sees only
> 16MB of ram (both machines have 32MB) according to dmesg output. FAQ

Compaq only announces the first 16 MB of RAM in the usual place in
CMOS, and uses some trickery for the remainder.

You should be able to force your kernel to 32 MB by

	options		"MAXMEM='(32*1024)'"

in your kernel config file.

> Second problem is onboard AMD Lance PCI ethernet card with 97c970
> chipset (there are tens of emails about it in your archive, it shoud
> go to FAQ i think), kernel seems to recognize this card (dmesg shows
> proper settings and proper ether address), but ifconfig gives me
> "initialisation error" (anyway, it sets all parameters) then ping etc
> commands show sendto error.

Are you sure the interrupt setting is okay?

--
cheers, J"org