Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:05:05 -0500
From:      "Joseph Koenig (jWeb)" <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Subject:   PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + FreeBSD + TCP/IP

Hi,

I'm having a difficulty getting PostgreSQL to accept TCP/IP connections on
FreeBSD 5.3. I have edited 'postgresql.conf' in my postgres data directory
to set the listen_address (and uncommented it) and have the port line
uncommented and set to the default 5432. I then restarted the postmaster and
tried to connect. I get:

could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "xx.xxx.xx.xxx" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I can connect from localhost just fine. Is there anything that needs to be
set in /etc/inetd.conf or /etc/hosts.allow? I have postgresql_enable="YES"
in my /etc/rc.conf file, but have not rebooted since I added that. If that's
the problem, is there a good way to load that value without rebooting? Is it
just an environmental variable? Thanks,

Joe Koenig
Production Manager
jWeb New Media Design