Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:22:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        WM CHUNG <s9303258@student.ouhk.edu.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd and linux

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, WM CHUNG wrote:

> I know that both FreeBSD and Linux are UNIX like free distributed OSes.
> Could you tell me the main differences between them?  Best regards!

To be concise:

* To my mind there are no overall differences in the functionality
  of both systems.

* Of course there are minor differences wich can be important depending on
  what you want to do, e.g.:
  - more commercial software for Linux
  - greater popularity of Linux
  - file size is still limited to 2 GB with Linux ext2fs
  - FreeBSD NFS performs much better (especially NFS client write)
  - Linux scheduling algorithm is poor on high system load

* The Linux development model is more liberal, the more restrictive
  FreeBSD model guarantees uniform source code and better stability.

* Strictly spoken, Linux is just the kernel. The rest of the operating
  system is added by the distributors like S.u.S.E., RedHat, Debian,
  Slackware. FreeBSD is kernel plus UNIX utilities. man pages, config
  files and so on.

* FreeBSD evolved from the BSD branch of UNIX and thus is a UNIX
  derivative. Linux started from Tanenbaum's Minix and is a
  reimplementation of the UNIX interface.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de