Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:56:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Hedley <freebsd-current@chrishedley.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New builds won't boot (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Chris Hedley wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Chris Hedley wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>> * Latest checkout date of a kernel that does boot.
>>> * Earliest checkout date of a kernel that doesn't boot.
>> As for the versions of the kernel, I've narrowed it down to a half-day
>> window, which is hopefully useful: the cvsup-specified dates I have are
>> 2009.02.18.12.00.00 (working) and 2009.02.19.00.00.00 (not working).
>
> Just to pontificate for a moment, I notice that there's quite a few changes
> to the ATA subsystem that afternoon.  This might be significant as the
> Supermicro SATA controllers I use (a pair of AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards, 8 port PCI-X
> things) aren't entirely trouble-free: when they're up and running they're
> fine, but they don't reset on reboot, even with the current (? 1.0c, anyway)
> firmware which causes problems rescanning the drives.  This could be a
> complete red herring, but I wondered if it may be related.

I've been fiddling about with this a bit more and I'm not sure it's just a
zfs problem as it seems gmirror also can't find its entries.  Attempting
to boot of a non-zfs partition also leads to it hanging near the end of
the kernel's boot messages.

Anybody got any ideas of how I can get my system or AOC-SAT2-MV8 to work
with the post 18th Feb kernels?  Or of any ddb wizardry to further probe
it for what it might be doing while it's apparently thinking about things?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.