Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:02:12 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

* Terry Lambert (tlambert2@mindspring.com) [020406 14:44]:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> > Section 0 says:
> >
> > : Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> > : covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> > : running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
> > : is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
> > : Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
> > : Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.
> >
> > This is generally true for copyright law.
>
> So now everyone who writes code is expected to be well read in
> copyright?  Some of us are, but most of us aren't...
>
> -- Terry

	This doesn't seem like an unreasonable burden to me. Anyone who drives
a car is expected to be well read (or at least reasonably familiar with) laws
governing vehicles and roads. Anyone who engages in investments is expected to
be well read (or again, at least reasonably familiar with) laws governing
investments. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a service provider,
creator, or manufacturer who was unaware or unfamiliar with of the legal
situation surrounding their activities.

	I've only heard of 1 case ever where someone was able to convince a judge
that they were innocent by way of not knowing the law. That was in response to
an obscure and undocumented statute, one even the court clerk could not locate
in the lawbooks, which said he couldn't park a motorcycle in between car
parking spots. =P

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)