Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:10:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, langfod@dihelix.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

> > What I'm suggesting is that there needs to be a "X-List-ID:" or
> > something similar for mailing lists, _added by the list server_.
>
> But X-List-ID won't get picked up by the user agent when (if) it
> constructs an In-Reply-To field so it wouldn't really help in
> thread construction. If anything is done by majordomo, adding a
> genuine Message-ID would be the most useful.  (Of course, only
> add it if it doesn't already exist!)

The benefit is in having a date-order stamp on message *that came
into* majordomo.

Using a date-order stamp in conjunction with a subject line and "Re: "
rules for subject contents would allow us to time-order thread messages
and their responses.

The point is to be able to thread based on timestamp and subject, not
based on "Message-ID:" and "In-reply-to:".  You can (perhaps) generate
a message ID if there isn't one, but you can't genreate an "In-reply-to"
if there isn't one.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---