Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:04:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASUS P5A broken by ACPI black-list

A couple of weeks ago I tried to upgrade a system to RELENG_5 from
CURRENT of June 13. The unit failed in 2 areas: No network and
continual DMA timeouts from one disk.

After building some old kernels, it became apparent that the network
broke long before the disk problem showed up and was the result of the
ACPI black-list implemented back on June 30. Unfortunately, this board
seems to require ACPI to run. Without it I get continuous xl0: watchdog
timeout messages from the system.

I have now re-enabled ACPI in the hints file and the network is
fine. (I'm still looking for the source of the disk problem.) Why it
fails without ACPI is another issue. This is a rather old board and has
run just fine for years on V3 and V4 kernels.

If I understand the acpidump, this BIOS should not be matching the
quirk. But it's quite possible that I am not correctly interpreting what
the 'oem_rev' is. Is this BIOS REALLY black-listed? If so, why? It seems
that it should not be.

The quirk entry is:
# ASUS P5A 03/12/99
name:		ASUS_P5A
oem:		FADT "ASUS  " "P5A     "
oem_rev:	FADT <= 0x58582e31
quirks:		ACPI_Q_BROKEN

My FADT is:
  FADT: FACS=0x5fff000, DSDT=0x5ffc100
        INT_MODEL=PIC
        Preferred_PM_Profile=Unspecified (0)
        SCI_INT=9
        SMI_CMD=0xb1, ACPI_ENABLE=0xa1, ACPI_DISABLE=0xa0, S4BIOS_REQ=0x0
        PSTATE_CNT=0x0
        PM1a_EVT_BLK=0xec00-0xec03
        PM1a_CNT_BLK=0xec04-0xec05
        PM2_CNT_BLK=0xec30-0xec30
        PM_TMR_BLK=0xec08-0xec0b
        GPE0_BLK=0xec18-0xec1b
        GPE1_BLK=0xec1c-0xec1f, GPE1_BASE=16
        P_LVL2_LAT=90 us, P_LVL3_LAT=900 us
        FLUSH_SIZE=0, FLUSH_STRIDE=0
        DUTY_OFFSET=1, DUTY_WIDTH=0
        DAY_ALRM=13, MON_ALRM=0, CENTURY=0
        IAPC_BOOT_ARCH=
        Flags={WBINVD,PROC_C1,SLP_BUTTON,RTC_S4}
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)