Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 06:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Goodleaf <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        snowstorm@citiz.net, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Drivers for Promise UDMA-66 card ?

I just dropped a Promise U66 into my system (4.1-stable) and attached two
new drives to it--one per channel--and it has worked perfectly, no
software fadiddling necessary. I used /stand/sysinstall to get the drives
partitioned and labeled. Just added the filesystems to /etc/fstab and it
all worked on next reboot.

I have heard that the IDE Raid version of this controller will work in
4.1, but not in RAID mode. I suppose if you wanted RAID you could buy a
couple of these controllers (mine cost less than $40) and use vinum to
create a reasonably fast, though non-SCSI, RAID system.
-J

John Goodleaf
goodleaf@goodleaf.net

PGP key: finger John@clyde.goodleaf.net