Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 22:59:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: ppp & HUP.

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, [KOI8-R] Андрей Чернов wrote:

> > death() in init.c :(
>
> I start thinking that sending HUP from init is a bug because:
> 1) It increase disk activity just before shutdown since all daemons
> re-read their configs.
> 2) It cause redials for redial-able software as uucp (and ppp some time
> ago).
>
> If nobody will explain why this HUP is neded (hanging shells perfectly
> killed by SIGKILL), I'll remove HUP sending from init.

According to what I read, the HUP was to allow processes to be able to
exit gracefully (and more slowly, perhaps saving state) than the SIGTERM.
I think the HUP is kinda historical.  I can't see a strong reason to kill
it, because I've never personally seen a bug caused by it.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |