Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2003 14:28:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        David Paigen <paigen@heathen.com>
Cc:        Derek Young <DerekYoung@easy.com>
Subject:   Re: Create Extigy

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, David Paigen wrote:

> I have been drooling over the Extigy since I first saw it on a
> shelf.  I have had a sound card hooked up to my stereo for several
> years now and the audio quality leaves something to be desired.
> Not to mention the wire interference between the computer and the
> stereo.

There are a few things to watch out for with this thing.  I actually
bought one hoping to alleviate the hiccups I often get while playing
MP3s under Windows XP on my old SB AWE32.  It is actually far worse
for that than the old AWE32.  I've since read many scathing reviews of
the Extigy, and of the newer SB cards in general.  Do a Google search
and you'll actually find entire sites dedicated to how much the
Live/Extigy/Audigy/Audigy2 suck.  It seems they all have this problem,
and it all points to Creative's own drivers, not necessarily the
hardware itself.  I don't know what the problem is, but I wish
Creative would address it.

I actually went so far as to replace my OHCI USB PCI controller card
with a new EHCI (USB2) + IEEE1394a + SerialATA (just icing on the
cake) all-in-one card, since I had heard rumors that a USB2 controller
improved the hiccup problems even though the Extigy is not a USB2
device.  It didn't.  Next step is to just replace this old system with
a newer one, since it is likely part of the problem, and I'll probably
also just get a Turtle Beach or Hercules sound card next time.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.