Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 12:54:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        root@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't run Java applets... Please help

Steve Reid stands accused of saying:

> I've downloaded the Netscape 3 (Atlas) beta, and I'm fairly certain that
> I have installed everything right. I downloaded the port and typed
> "make", then moved the files to the places named in the PLIST file (maybe
> I should have tried "make install" instead?)  The browser works fine, but
> it won't run java applets:

You should have used 'make install'.

> "Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background"

This message is harmless, but it's not related to your problem.
The problem you are mostlijkely experiencing is that XFree86 as shipped
with FreeBSD has an incorrect fonts.dir file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc.

# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
# mkfontdir

> At the bottom line where it sometimes shows scrolling text, there is the
> message
>
> "Applet can't start: error: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: findSystemClass"

Dunno that one.

> I have the JDK, and I'm able to compile and run a simple HelloWorld
> application. But when I try to run appletviewer on the demo applets, it
> dies:
>
> Can't find shared library "Xm" (/usr/java/lib/i386/libawt.so)

Looks like you need Motif; that's what the Xm library is.  Also, I
can't imagine anything being installed as /usr/java on a BSD system.

> Can't find shared library "Xm" (/usr/java/bin/../lib/i386/libawt.so)
> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no awt in shared library path
> [along with a bunch of other errors cauesd by not finding libawt.so]
>
> ldconfig -r shows that libc_r.so.2.2, libfakesys.so.1.0 and libc.so.3.0
> in the /usr/java/lib/i386 directory, but that's all. I don't know why
> it would find those files but not libawt.so, which *is* in the same
> directory as the other three.

AFAIK, shared library names must conform to libname.so.major.minor, so
'libawt.so' is possibly not recognised by ldconfig.